Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14 Blog

Wikipedia:
As an English major the majority, if not all, of my teachers say, "Do not use Wikipedia." But when we Google, pretty much anything, Wikipedia is the first to pop up. This article was by far my favorite, I am all about exploiting evil corporations, who's only goal is to make more and more money at anyone's expense. I am a total conspiracy theorist, and do not doubt that top names such as, Wal Mart, Exxon Mobil, and other big shot corporations would go into Wiki and change entries that are not "Aesthetically pleasing" to their company. I personally, use Wikipedia. If I need something quick it is always the first thing to pop up. I do dislike the fact that anyone can change it, especially company's. But the designer of this Wikipedia Scanner is a genius! Not only can you see who is changing vast amounts of information of Wiki but you can see what dirty corporation is behind it. But I do think If technology can advance in this area then Wikipedia will be a new and improved source to use. Pro Wikipedia!!!

What I Have Learned This Year Article:
This article is what we as future teachers need to live by. Mr. McClung spoke very simple and precise. His seven main points were; how to read the crowd, be flexible, communicate, be reasonable, don't be afraid of technology, listen to your students, and never stop learning. I think the one that spoke to me the most was, listen to your students. In a year or so I will be teaching high school. And if I haven't heard it a million times most students say, "He/she just wont listen to what I have to say." Dealing with teenagers mostly, they deal with this with their parents, siblings, and school. Me being a 20 year old myself can definitely relate. We as teachers must be intuitive with our students, and listen to what they have to say. All seven points are valid, but that was probably the one point I most agreed with. This article is a good resource to look back on when I start teaching. Mr. McClung has a pretty solid idea of his students, and I enjoyed this article.

3 comments:

  1. Good start Brittany. Please correct the little "i" in the very last sentence, and the contraction "wont" in your quote. Yes, Mr.McClung makes some very good points to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I also agree that the designer of the scanner for Wikipedia is a genius! I know I would have never thought of such an invention. I am a math major, so I do not really have to worry about my future students using Wikipedia like you do. And I completely agree that big name companies probably use it to their advantage to change facts to sound better. I absolutely loved Mr. McClung's blog! It seemed entirely heartfelt and very insightful. His information seems invaluable to us as future educators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post! I also enjoyed McClung's article.

    ReplyDelete